How to display incorrectly displayed HTML characters correctly

When I uploaded my html document to the server, it displayed é as é. I tried setting meta-tag, saving file as utf-8 to no avail. Finally I found out that HTTP content type has precedence over meta tag and file encoding. I changed my meta tag and file format to confirm with HTTP content type.

While it is recommended to use utf-8 meta tag, file encoding and http content type, since I didn’t own the server and it sent obscure ISO-8859-1 content type I had to convert my file encoding and meta tag to the same encoding to be able to display the characters correctly.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s